20130206

Scene Changing

Scene changing was one of my last parts to this project, originally I wanted the inside of the buildings to be immediately accessed through the door (and remaining inside the game world, not a seperate space) but this soon became impractical when put with the current control system, camera logic and size of structures (and working out how to make the camera cope with third-person perspective in such a tight spaces was impossible!). 

I decided to go for a Pokémon-esque room enter process, a player would walk up to an open door and instantly be transitioned to the inside of a building. I had the idea that the inside of the room should feel completely isolated from everything else and felt the hard-edged interior should would benefit from a simple fading black backdrop.

This was only an example, I was running out of time really especially with the plans to get a book prepared for the hand-in date. I was able strip out the town hall's exterior shell as a base, ensuring I was using the exact same space as the game showed. I had to produce some simple collision boxes so that players couldn't just walk out the front of the structure and in to the fading backdrop.



The camera switches to an isometric camera which keeps the player locked to the centre of the screen, I think this works really well particularly with the control setup currently. 

Below is an in-game screenshot of the interior of the town hall (prototype), and following that is some simple renders of the interior assets.