20130206

Book Development - Process and Problems

I have just finished the process of producing the artwork for my book. This post will explain the process I have taken to produce this work, and also the issues I have faced in the development process. 

I begun by looking through an array of books to find a style I felt would suit the simplicity and clean design of my low poly artwork, I looked at cookery books (specifically NOMA) and an arrangement of game design concept books to see how they laid out the work (and in what order).

I began to take some models from the Unity project and import them in to Cinema 4D R14 to render to print quality, I also developed a procedural texture that would make my models appear more 'believable' having a none-repeating paper applied over them. 


The texture is made up of both seamless textures I have developed in Photoshop and built-in modifiable Noise shaders stacked up using the Multiply filter to produce different scales (and shades) of grain over the texture. I also applied an Environment shader which helps bring out the model from the stark white backdrop I planned to render the images on. Finally a normal map was applied to catch fine details on the flat surfaces (to give the shape more detail at such high resolution rendering, and to give a more realistic feel to the heavy paper).

I then began rendering the models at no particular scale to a 'paper' backdrop, but after a while i realised that it became very repetitive to see the exact same textured backdrop in each render. Here is an example of the initial renders for the book, and also the layout of the text on the page.

  
I decided it didn't look professional enough, and at this point I had not decided what dimensions my book would be so anything I created and rendered might well have to be re-done later on to fit the books dimensions. I developed a cleaner rendering style which brought out the models, and by setting up a grid for a consistent composition (different for left and right pages) and deciding on an A3 portrait setup for the book.

Here is an example of the new studio I have set up in Cinema 4D and the guides I have setup in Photoshop to keep consistency through the pages. 



I will save the final images to be shown in the actual book as I feel they will not be shown off here (with all the white space around!).